Recent Mold Remediation Posts
6 Things You Didn't Known About Mold
We all have heard about mold and how there are over 100,000 different types but here are some interesting things you might have missed.
- Mold has been proven to help gardens grow.
- Mold spreads quickly on walls and other surfaces because it requires growth to survive.
- Bleach does not kill mold it just changes the color of it.
- Mold tends to grow more in dark areas
- Because mold looks a lot like mildew it’s often confused with it.
- Mold can grow in dirty air ducts too, causing mold to circulate around.
To stay safe and healthy from mold check your home regularly. Make sure to check in your basement, ceilings, tiles, under carpets and showers. If mold is found have a professional check it out. Give SERVPRO of Springfield/Mt. Vernon a call.
Repair vs. Replace With Mold
Removing moldy drywall is almost always recommended for highly infected areas. If the core of the drywall is starting to disintegrate or the paper is peeling off then definitely get it replaced.
If you see black mold, you may want to get it tested, just know that not all black mold is toxic. Place your safety first if you do try to remediate it yourself and if you need help with the rebuild we have a division that will come out and patch/replace the affected area.
If you do decide to have the mold tested then get a quote before you commit to remediating. Sometimes it is equally as cost effective to remove and replace the affected drywall, then there is no need for testing at all. We recommend getting quotes for both.
How to Prevent Mold Growth
When flood and other water intrusions are not handled appropriately, the resulting water damage can cause harmful mold growth. Do not allow mold to grow in your home or place of business. Be alert and take the following precautions:
- Maintain low humidity levels- install an air conditioner or dehumidifier to keep humidity below 50%, and check the humidity levels more than once a day.
- Maintain ventilation in your home and be sure to use fans that vent outside of your home. This will prevent the areas in your home from becoming excessively moist.
- Immediately repair leaks in your home’s roof and walls. The only thing mold needs to grow is water. Keeping your pipes sealed and floors dry will starve mold of its primary food source.
- Renovating your home? Decluttering? Use mold-inhibiting paint and cleaners.
- Recent flood? Call SERVPRO of Springfield/ Mt. Vernon to provide top of the line water removal services to prevent water damage.
Call us at (703) 644-0620 to schedule an appointment for our Mold Remediation Services. We are happy to provide 24/7 water cleanup and restoration services in Springfield/ Mt. Vernon, VA.
Does Your Home Have A Mold Problem?
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Springfield/ Mt. Vernon to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business. If you suspect mold, call us today at 703-644-0620.
When mold sets in your drywall
Mold can cause health problems and should removed as soon as it is noticed. The method used to remove mold from drywall varies on a number of issues including whether or not the drywall is coated. If it is, then cleaning it with water and a cleansing agent should work. If it is not, then that section of drywall must be removed since it is too porous to clean.
SERVPRO Technicians take specialization courses and a Certified to idenify and remove mold. They know when it is necessary to remove the materials and drywall and when cleaning and sanitizing with chemicals is the best method to not only rid your home of mold, but keep it out!
SERVPRO gives a warranty with every one of their services and that does include mold remediation. Sometime the Insurance Company not only covers the process but has a warranty tailored to that company in an agreement for using SERVPRO as a Preferred Vendor.
Prevent Basement Mold and Odors
Mold around the pipes in the basement
Basements and crawl spaces are the most problematic areas for mold and mildew. This usually results in odor and stains. There are measure that you can take to prevent this from happening. By doing so you can actually improve your air quality.
* Excessive moisture builds up from every day infiltration and every day activities. WATCH for the moisture and do not let it sit...wipe the area dry.
* POOR ventilation can lead to excess moisture. Put a fan in the area to circulate the air and dry the area out. If that does not help you may want to have a professional give an estimate on adding proper ventilation to the area.
* Tighter homes trap moisture, so if your home is close to the adjacent house check to make sure the area between the homes is getting air, light and drying out.
* Natural air flow pulls the pollutants up into the living areas affecting the whole house. Take the measures to watch and monitor your air quality.
How do I know if I have mold in my air ducts?
Condensation on the exterior of the vents does not necessarily mean it is on the inside.
There is a lot of concern with Air Quality in today's homes and the possibility of it being compromised through mold. Mold in your air ducts is not common. If you can see or smell the mold, then it is a safe bet it is there and call SERVPRO to come and do the remediation.
If you can't see or smell it, then hire a qualified person to come and test for mold. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has stated that there are no standards for what is an acceptable amount of mold; and that every home has a certain amount.
The company that inspects for mold can't be the same company that does the remediation. This poses a potential conflict of interest. Remediation can be as easy as a few hundred dollars to thousands.
Does Your Springfield/ Mt. Vernon Home Have a Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 703-644-0620
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Springfield/ Mt. Vernon for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Springfield/ Mt. Vernon specializes in mold cleanup and restoration; in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.